Wednesday, January 2, 2019

January 2: World Introvert Day and Engaging Introverts


Today is another holiday, but it does not require the planning needed as for the holidays.  It is World Introvert Day and the joke is that everyone celebrates this all by themselves.  Ha, ha.

I love this day of reflection and focus on introverts.  I am an introvert and I work in an environment that favors extroverts.  No problem on most days.  There are times, however, when my extroverted colleagues do not understand how mentally draining constant, engaging interaction can be to us introverts.  We make up 25-50% of the US population according to Psychology Today.  As an adult, I have learned to cope with overwhelming interactions, but our students may not understand how to do so. 

Last March, Edutopia posted an informative article about how to help our introverted students in a world of collaborative education.  Introvert-Friendly Cooperative Learning has some great strategies to consider.  It reminds me to be cognizant of students who hesitate to work with a new lab group or who shy away from group quizzes.  As my classroom is set up in tables that face each other, I demand that students work in groups.  Today as World Introvert Day is a good reminder for me to consider how I would like to be a student in my own classroom. 

A final thought:  the Ted Talk on “The Power of Introverts” is also helpful for teachers when considering our “quieter” students.

Happy World Introvert Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment